I love peanut butter! I mean, I lovelovelove it! I used to toast two pieces of bread just so I could slather them with peanut butter and get my fix. At any time of the day! Luckily, Haagen-Dazs® has an ice cream called chocolate peanut butter so I can still get me some…oooh that sounded naughty! lol
Because of my love of peanut butter, I mastered baking peanut butter cookies. If I do say so myself! I got this recipe off of the back of a Kraft® peanut butter jar about 25 years ago. Give or take a few years. I have always remembered the recipe since I long ago lost the label from that jar. I did find it, now, on the Kraft® website so I’ll provide a link at the end.
- 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 tsp. of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1 cup of smooth peanut butter – you can use crunchy if you want
- 1 cup of room temperature butter
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of packed golden brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. of vanilla – I usually added a little extra
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Line or grease cookie sheets.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat together butter, peanut butter, white sugar and brown sugar with a mixer until it’s creamy and nice and fluffy.
- Mix in 1 egg at a time until blended. Add vanilla.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients making sure that it is well blended each time.
- Roll a tablespoon or so into balls and drop each of them onto your cookie sheets. When your cookie sheet is full, use a fork to press each ball with a criss-cross mark.
- Bake for ~ 8 to 10 minutes.
I have a nephew, Karrson, with severe peanut allergies and I know that schools also will not allow any nuts to be brought to school because of these life threatening allergies. There are two products that I have found that have a peanut butter taste and are full of great nutrients for your kids! Plus they are safe to take to school! Maybe some of you will try baking this cookie recipe with them and let me know.
The first product is Wowbutter®. It is a toasted soy product that tastes like peanut butter, provides complete protein, is full of Omega-3 and most importantly, kids love it! Even my niece and nephew, Holly and Matthew, who do not have allergies love it. The cheapest that I have found it is at Walmart for $4.59.
The second product is NoNuts® peabutter. It is made with brown peas and is also very nutritional. It comes in four flavors. Extra Creamy, Golden, Chocolate and cinnamon. It is a Canadian product and the cheapest that I’ve found it is at Amazon.ca for $5.75.
I hope you bake some crazy yummy cookies with this recipe and maybe experiment with some new products. Happy baking everyone!