There is something about deep-frying any food that makes it almost orgasmic and definitely forbidden…at least according to your bikini! The forbidden part at least. Well to that I say, “Faak that!”. We all need more – ummmm…Oh Yes moments!
Enter deep-fried zucchini sticks! Can I get a big Oh yes from everyone?! I used to live in a small town called Pembroke, Ontario. There was a small restaurant, I’m sure it’s gone now, that made the best zucchini sticks ever. They were fresh with a light batter. And the dip – oh the dip! It made the dish.
My Aunt Paulette and my Aunt Nicky have a similar story but from a restaurant here in Ottawa. They too say that the dip made the dish. A dip that they finally figured out how to make BUT always refused to share the recipe!! Grrrr!
- Vegetable or peanut oil for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs ( I have used shake and bake for pork before and it turned out amazing)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese optional
- 4 zucchini, quarter the zucchini lengthwise, then cut each quarter in half crosswise if the zucchini is long enough.
- In a paper bag, combine the flour, garlic salt, and pepper. Pour the eggs into a bowl and beat. In an other paper bag, combine the panko breadcrumbs and the Parmesan cheese.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Drop 4 to 6 zucchini sticks into one paper bag with the flour mixture and shake to coat. Transfer to a metal colander and shake off the excess flour. Dip the zucchini into the beaten eggs, place into paper bag with the panko breadcrumb mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining zucchini.
- The zucchini can stand at room temperature for up to 3 hours before frying.
- In a deep fryer pour in oil to a depth of 5 inches heat to 375 degrees F. Working in batches, fry the zucchini sticks until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the zucchini sticks to paper towels to drain.
- This makes 32 zucchini sticks best served immediately. Serve with home-made secret dressing.
- 2 cups of sour cream
- 1/2 tbsp. of prepared horseradish
- 1 tsp. dried mustard
- 1 clove crushed garlic or more ( 2 or 3 )
- 1 tsp. of lemon juice
Mix well and serve with zucchini sticks yummmmmmm!!!!!!!