Those of you that have stopped by my hospital room during the Christmas Holidays will attest to loving these cookies. These cookies are a favorite of my sister-in-law’s, Alice and my Aunt Sue not to mention probably half a dozen nurses! Of course, my Aunt Paulette is the baker of these decadent cookies. In fact, when the Holidays come by I have a greater number of people – including nurses who just stop by to say hello. And quickly look around my room just looking for cookies! lol
Brown Butter Babies ( makes 30 cookies)
Aunt Suzie and Alice’s favorite
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1 1/4 tsp. of vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. of baking powder
1/4 tsp. of baking soda
1/4 tsp. of salt
3 tbsp. granulated sugar
30 walnuts or pecans
1) In a small sauce pan cook butter over medium heat until brown and nutty…about five minutes, let cool
2) In a large bowl , beat brown sugar with cooled butter until fluffy. Beat egg, egg yolk and vanilla.
3) In a separate bowl whisk together flour baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir into butter mixture in 2 additions.
4) Take 1 rounded tbsp. of cookie dough and roll into balls; roll balls into granulated sugar.
5) Place balls about 3 inches apart on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
6) With the bottom of a glass press to scant 1/2 inch thickness. Press 1/2 a nut in the center of each.
Bake in a 350 F oven until golden, about 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on pans for 3 minutes; transfer to racks and let cool completely before storing.
These are the best cookies ever, Aunt Suzanne and Alice love these….Yummm good!