I spent a lot of time working in the restaurant/bar industry. Over 10 years to be truthful. I worked in the front of the house – bartender, server, manager – but some places where I worked had the policy of training their staff everywhere regardless of their position. That means that I got to learn some great recipes during my training in the back of the house – kitchen!
I consider myself very lucky to have had those experiences. Not only did I get some really good recipes and cooking tips but it also gave me a better understanding of the other workers work experiences. I think all restaurants should train their staff this way.
This recipe is from one of the restaurants that I worked for – cut down a great deal considering you’re not preparing it for 100’s of people!
- 3 ripe avocados – peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 tomato – diced (I prefer using a roma tomato)
- 1 small sweet onion – diced
- fresh cilantro – everyone has a preference for cilantro so you decide how much if at all
- 1 lime – juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 jalapeno pepper – seeded and diced (optional)
- Mash avocados with a fork in a bowl
- Add tomato, onion, cilantro, lime juice and jalapeno
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap – right against the guacamole to prevent it from turning brown – and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
Hope you enjoy!