I have a confession about this recipe. I have never had this cake because, HELLO – mayo in my cake! I mean – EWWWWWW! Right? Apparently I’m wrong about that because this cake is my cousin Shawn’s favourite. Plus, my Aunt Paul says that she has had it and it’s really moist and tasty. Let’s face it, my cousin Shawn saying it’s good – could be a gamble with my health, my Aunt saying that it is good – I’m baking myself a chocolate mayo cake! lol
Today, in the spirit of my other cousin Alison’s birthday, I give you cake! Well, not literally because I really can’t reach through the internet and give you a piece of cake but you know what I mean. Let me know how they turn out and, I mean really, is it really yummy?! lol
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp. of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. of baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups of sugar
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of mayo
- 1 1/3 cups of water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour two 9-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer at high-speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in mayo at low-speed until blended. Alternately beat in flour mixture with water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on wire racks; remove from pans and cool completely.
- Frost with your favourite frosting or generously sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
Happy birthday Alison and Happy baking everyone else!