Happy New Year everyone! Okay, I get it! I know that I’m a little behind the draw here but I have reasons. First off, I have been sick. Nothing like a stomach bug to help you bring in the new year! I’m fairly lucky though considering my fellow PALS (people living with ALS) over at UnshakableHope – Bob Sweeney – he had to fight off a lung infection! Yeah, for someone who depends on machines to help him breathe that is not an easy feat people. And he’s so darn positive! I have to admit that I’m not always so positive. I try but there are times when I just want to say F*?! It! lol Check him out on his blog. I promise you that no matter what you are going through, you will be thankful to God that you are doing okay in life.
I will also admit that the holidays were and always are incredibly hard for me. My mother died on December 29th, 2012. Four days before her 60th birthday. She was a new years twin so that makes the whole new year fun not so fun to me. I know that it’s partly because I’m stuck in this room but that doesn’t mean it hurts any less. And sometimes, I’m angry with her for leaving me alone. I know, I know! How ridiculous is that?! I’m aware that it is useless emotion but there it is. My raw emotions don’t always make sense but they’re mine and I deal with them. Usually I just try to look at all of the great things that I have in my life to snap me out of it! Sometimes it works great, this Christmas though? Yeah, not so much! I’m getting back to me but it has taken me this much time to get there. Apologies for my tardiness.
Want to giggle a little with me? Remember in a previous post, I told you about one of my nurses? If you didn’t get the chance to read it you can find it here. Anyway, I thought I would tell you about another one of my nurses. She is an older lady, much like the other one and also very lovely. I mean, she really is a beautiful soul, you know? Anyone who has spent time in a hospital can attest to the following statement. There are two types of nurses. One, they get into nursing because they want to help people. They want to help people during what is sometimes the scariest times of their lives. Second, they get into nursing for the pay cheque.
Well, this nurse definitely falls into the first category. Here’s the thing though… She talks soooooooo, soooooo very much! I mean, I can’t get a word in to save my life! And she asks me so many questions in a row that I don’t know how to answer. I have a really hard time with my speech, I wink once for yes and I can still manage to verbally say no OR if I’m really tired, I wink twice for no. So when she asks me soooooo many questions at once, I probably look like I’m having a seizure trying to answer! lol And what do I answer first?! I’m some times trying to figure out how to answer and where to begin when she will take my silence – or I don’t know, maybe I blink while thinking where to start – as a yes to one of the many questions and will start doing something I really don’t want or need! There have been so many times where my arms are being moved or my hips pulled back! Which totally throws me off because my mind is still trying to figure out how to answer but now I also have to figure out how to fix what has been done. It happens that fast people!! lol
Anyhoo, enough about that! I have noticed that many blogs have posted their top 10 recipes for 2018. I, on the other hand have no clue how to go about getting that information SO instead I thought that I would post MY favourites. Hey, I can’t eat so I think that the recipes that make me feel really hungry is as good of a test as anything else out there! lol
Here they are…
- This is an old one but it still makes me hungry. There is nothing better than a warm slice with butter! Banana Bread
- It’s winter and that means comfort food! The best Home-Made Beef Stew – Slow Cooker or Stove Top
- I have always been a fan of Mexican food so it stands to reason that I add one to this list! Restaurant Style Pico De Gallo!
- I can’t believe that this recipe is making the list considering it uses canned peas – which I hate! – but this recipe not only redeems them for me, I looked forward to having them whenever Hertha made them! Hertha’s Dill Peas!
- I obviously have to put a no churn ice cream recipe on this list! I mean, come on! It’s the only thing I can still eat! Picking one was the hard part. I decided to choose this one but I should tell you that I have modified it since I originally posted it. Not that it wasn’t already delicious but I wanted more chocolate and some booze so I added 1/2 cup of cocoa powder and 2 to 3 Tbsp of raspberry liquor to the cream base! So, so good! Easy No Churn Cheesecake Ice Cream With Raspberry White Chocolate Swirls!
- Who doesn’t love pasta?! I have to say that I really miss eating pasta and this one is one that I miss even more! Chicken Carbonara Linguini
- Okay, one more pasta dish. Hey, it’s my list and reading the list of pasta recipes on my blog made me hungry! lol Italian Sausage Penne
- This recipe is special not only because it is yummy but also because my mom always baked these for me every Christmas! Mom’s Shortbread Cookies!
- Aunt Paul, you know that this recipe was going to make the list, right?! You always made this for me and I miss it so much! Aunt Paul’s Amazing Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Icing!
- This one is a good one. Just reading it made my mouth water! Good thing I’m not drooling, I hope! lol Pork Souvlaki With Home-Made Tzatziki
Happy New Year, happy baking and happy cooking! xo