You are going to thank me for this dip! You really are, I swear. I would make this easy dip every time we were celebrating something. The grass growing in the Spring counts, right? lol
I have a little secret about this dip. I could, literally, eat this dip with a spoon because it’s THAT good! I didn’t ever do that, barely but only because I was afraid someone would catch me! heehee – I did, on many occasions eat almost half of it AND the chips because I couldn’t be caught eating it with a spoon, right? lol
People always asked me for the recipe every time I made it. You must be lucky since I’m sharing the recipe with you. I usually used a deep dish glass pie plate to make it in. I liked the glass because you can see the yummy layers through the glass. You will need something deep too because it will not fit in a smaller depth.
There were times when I was lazy and instead of topping the dip with a bunch of freshly cut vegetables, I would use salsa. Different but equally good so you decide. Also, refried beans are a great second layer. Again, you decide!
- 1 package of cream cheese (block), room temperature
- 1 500 ml container of sour cream
- 1 packet of taco seasoning or home-made taco seasoning
- 1 – 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2-3 green onions, diced
- marble cheese, grated for topping ~ 2 cups (you can use your favourite cheese)
- Optional layers – salsa, my home-made guac, refried beans
- Using a hand-mixer or a fork (I usually just used a fork but the mixer will make it smoother), combine the cream cheese and the sour cream until smooth. Add taco seasoning a little at a time until you achieve your desired taste. Some people prefer a lighter or heavier taste. You will not use the entire packet. Pour mixture into your serving dish.
- If you’re using guacamole, salsa or refried beans layer on top of cream cheese mixture now.
- Top cream cheese mixture with diced tomatoes and onions. Top with grated cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve with tortilla chips and/or veggies.
I wish that I could take pictures of my recipes so you could see all this yummy-ness! You’ll just have to take my word for them! Mwaahahaha!
UPDATE – You all know that I wish I could take pictures of everything that I post so you can see just how yummy everything is! Of course, I am not able to because I’m bed ridden because I’m living with ALS which makes these pictures sooooo fun to me! My cousin, bravely (if you knew her fear of cooking you’d understand) made my dip at her cottage and sent me some pictures! I love when you guys send me pictures AND Alison did such a great job! Makes me wish I had a spoon! lol